Friday, August 1, 2008

Player Piano - by Kurt Vonnegut

When my daughter brought home the book “Player Piano” and said it was for her English Class book report, I couldn’t believe it. A high schooler reading Kurt Vonnegut!! It wasn’t until I was in college that I had to read a Kurt Vonnegut book, and even then I didn’t understand it. “Cat’s Cradle” was my assignment and I just couldn’t get into the book. So, that turned me off of any of Vonnegut’s writings.I’m an avid reader, my daughter doesn’t like to read, so I was quite surprised to see her so intrigued with this book. When she was finished, I picked up the book and started reading. When I get desparate I’ll read anything. Much to my surprise this book is good. In fact, it is really good. Almost, not quite, an I can’t put it down type book.It was written in 1952 and it explains a life in the future,only the future it describes is what is now becoming our future. How could he possibly have known that we would depend so much on computers? On dishwashers and microwave ovens? I thought Microwave ovens were something fairly new, not something thought of in 1952. He includes humor in his books and they aren’t nearly as difficult to understand as I had thought. This is definately a good read and have rethought my thoughts on Kurt Vonnegut.My daughter also had to include some history of Mr. Vonnegut in her report. It was very interesting studying this with her. He has lived through so much, which make his books very real. I’m now looking forward to getting “Cat’s Cradle” and rereading it, to see if it now makes sense to me. I have a feeling it will.If anyone, out there, needs a book report on “Player Piano” reply to this and I will get a copy of my daughters to give you some ideas to use.

3 comments:

Talkingbees-Learn Bengali-Hindi-Online-USA-London said...

nice site ,

saw you are using this google adsense , i m too

so want to help each other, plz cntact me
susmitaforyouonly@gmail.com

kiran said...

nice and itz for all those who love reading....cheers...great site....gud work indeed

Nilofer said...

Hi! You've got a great blog here...
I'm very fond of reading so when I select the next book I might take help from your blog reviews... Cheers!

http://parentingworkshop.blogspot.com